The Aftermath

With Christmas and New Year festivities all done and dusted, routine has set in once again.

However, after a change to Family Curry Night where Jamie and Charlotte instead presented a rather good couple of Mexican dishes, the following evening Sue and I visited the Cinnamon Lounge to dine with 6 other friends for an authentic Indian meal. Earlier that afternoon I was watching Tigers on the TV (at the Angel) when Jim Crawford suggested we join him and Kate for a curry and it snowballed from there to Jim and Brigitte, Sean and Paul. An enjoyable time was had by all.

Lucas and Ellis returned to school and Jamie sold his yellow car to some one from Weston Supermare (good luck to them). At present, until he purchases another one, I have lent him mine to drive to and from work.

As part of my Christmas present to Nan I had booked an afternoon tea at Sedgebrooke Hall with Charlotte. It happened to be the same day that Ellis started swimming classes and I played a round of golf at course nwear Rugby to celebrate a friends 60th birthday. The previous day had been horrendously wet and miserable, but the clouds had parted and we were treated to a lovely day. Nan enjoyed her tea (with the usual reservations), Ellis did brilliantly in the water (like a veritable duck) and I managed to get 18 holes in without embarrassing myself on any of them.
I made a visit to the doctors to check up on a spasmodic and short-lived pain in the arm that was getting to be painful (though didn’t affect my golf). The surprise was that the Doc gave me a prescription for some painkillers, and it was free! There is at last a benefit for being 60. Both Sue and I visited the dentist. I got a good clean bill of health and an appointment for another check-up in 6 months. Sue was advised to replace a crown that I gather is going to cost the same as a very good set of quality golf clubs!!!!

On the Thursday Sue and I caught the 12.13pm train to Southampton. I drove to the station with Sue and Sarah, and Sarah took the car back home for us. We caught a direct train to London so we were soon at St. Pancras Station and catching the underground to Waterloo for our connection to Southampton. Apart from a couple of mishaps where Sue managed to get her case caught in the barriers (her reactions are not as quick as they used to be) he journey went smoothly. The Ibis hotel I had booked was a 5 minute walk from the station and we were soon checked in and exploring the locality. We were close to the centre of the city and on the West Quay. We were impressed by the shops and city walls.
That evening we went to the cinema and watched ‘All is Lost’, an unfortunate film to watch prior to a cruise. The plot is based around the sinking of a yacht in the middle of the Indian ocean and the harrowing incidents afterwards. Ooooooops I thought, lesson to be learnt, don’t stray far from my life jacket. After recovering from the film we walked into town and had a nice meal at the ‘Slug and Lettuce’. On return to the hotel it was off to bed for comfortable nights sleep.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s