Warming up?

Overnight we had wind and rain with a rise in temperature and the following morning the snow had mostly gone, to be replaced by a river in flood (again).

Charlotte has been having trouble with her tooth. She had insisted that the dentist check it out, but there was little evidence of anything being amiss until they checked the head scan photos more closely than she had previously. There was a dark stain on the jaw indicating a long-standing infection. A minor operation to scrape out the nasty stuff ended up with something a little more substantial and a small part of her jaw being cut away. It was painful, and required stitches inside her mouth and a dose of painkillers  The side of her face swelled up rather unflatteringly for a few days before returning to its normal disposition, though tender to touch. Suraj had to have a couple of days off work to look after the boys and keep the ship sailing.

Sarah drove down to stay with us over the weekend. She has been applying for Camp America and needed to replace her old passport, plus she had to produce a video that would promote her application.  She arrived on Wednesday and immediately went to see her sister and help out with the boys. That Friday everyone came over for Curry Night and for once the boys were quiet, they seemed quite happy to play with construction kits and jig-saws (long may it last). Charlotte was able to eat her curry without too much problem, but later she yelped when I kissed her cheek goodbye (it was the poor cheek that she offered!)

100_5913 100_5912

Earlier that day we had a visit from David. He and Genya had arrived in the UK on Tuesday and he had made a late decision on Thursday night to come down and see us. I picked him up from the train station in the morning and took him to see Nan. When we arrived Sarah was there waiting. For lunch, we all (inc. Sue) went to The Waterfront restaurant at the Harborough Basin. Sarah and I took him for a walk around the Basin as our previous house had been knocked down to make way for a lot of the buildings and he was keen to see what had replaced it. We all returned to our house for the afternoon and watched family videos until it was time to catch his train back to Rotherham later that afternoon. He is flying back to Bulgaria the following Tuesday and Genya is staying for another month to sort out some work at the Unit, before joining him.

100_5909 100_5908100_5910

On Saturday, Sarah and I spent the day making her promotional video. It had to be published on YouTube so the pressure was on, particularly as some of the others that were already there looked professional. We found old photos and videos, decided on a storyboard, wrote a few scripts and then set about creating this:  http://youtu.be/6IUC9o7ckps I hope it helps her application.


On Sunday. Charlotte came over with the boys and they, Sue and Sarah went to Welland Park to see Cinderella.  It sounded very good, especially as Ellis sat quietly throughout the performance (praise indeed). We had a rather enormous chicken roast for our evening meal (supplied by Jamie) of which we gave half to the Rothwells to keep the wolves from the door.

On Monday Nan had a Doctors appointment and he noticed her finger and sent her to the Cottage Hospital to have it splinted. Sue went with her, but there was quite a queue so it was decided to go back in the afternoon. I returned with her and after an x-ray she had it put into a rigid splint with instructions to keep it on for 6 weeks (she didn’t keep the one I put on for very long, so we shall see). Sarah and I went to the post office to send off her passport application (extortionate price for a passport!). Sarah pleaded poverty so I paid for it and Nan gave her some money for her petrol back to Sheffield. Sue packed the car up with food for her return later that afternoon.

I popped around to Jamie’s place the other day to take a painting that he had bought in Bali of some surfers on a beach. He had decided it would like nice in his apartment, he had a friend there who was celebrating his 24th birthday, and they were making plans for their evening’s entertainment. I hope it went better than the other night when he took a girl out and she ended up backing her car into his and broke his wing mirror. I know because he fixed it in my garage. The work’s van is still giving problems and last week he got stranded in Birmingham when the clutch cable broke. It has since been repaired and they are looking to replace it. While it was in the garage being fixed, it seems he had 3 lazy days in the warehouse.

Sue like me had her NHS check-up. They took some blood and checked all the things that I was subjected to and are now waiting for the results and her doctor’s appointment. I have my visit to the Doctor next Monday to get the feedback. Even Jamie got a call up this week, but he forgot about the appointment and has to re-book. It seems they are working their way through every family in the Practice, it must cost a lot of time and money.

I have been engrossed most evenings working my way through the TV series ‘The Walking Dead’ on my tablet. I have completed season 1 and have now started season 2. I am at a loss to explain why, as Zombies dragging themselves around the countryside gobbling up the living is hard to defend as a sane evening’s entertainment. But they are, I must be going mad or starting to empathise with rotting corpses!


Looks like a student after a night out!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s