Mauritius 6

This was to be our last breakfast at the Veranda Palmar Beach Hotel and Sue chose one of the tables by the pool to eat. It was a clear sky so the sun was having a field day incinerating those fool hardy enough not to be in shade or having slip-slap-slopped and wearing a hat. It was too hot to eat much so I settled for an omelette and bread and cheese. Annoyingly as the waiters are so attentive, as soon as you finish your food or drink it is whisked away, usually without you noticing it. The problem is I have several drinks of fruit juice in the morning and if I could keep a hold of my glass long enough to refill it when empty, I wouldn’t spend so much time hunting a new glass! To day I lost my glass three times and each time had to wait for the glass vendor to be refilled.

After breakfast we packed our cases (didn’t taken long) and then Sue sat on the verandah reading her book and I had a walk around the hotel discovering places such as the pool room, gym, and table tennis. I returned to the rooms air-con and had a doze on the bed (life can be tough sometimes). At 11.45pm we checked out of the hotel and waited in Reception for our taxi to Port Louis.


While there we chatted to the young lady from Brighton who had arrived with us on the same flight. She was not a happy bunny. She was hating her stay. She complained about her room, the service, the beach the food and the staff. Eeeeek! and there was me earlier moaning about the disappearing glasses. We mentioned our meal from last night and that seemed to confirm for her that she had booked into Hades. When she left us to see the manager, Sue and I just looked at each other and shook our heads.

The taxi arrived on time  and we were soon  chatting away, racing over the mountains to catch our ship the NeoRomantica. The journey took a little less than an hour and check-in was probably the quickest we have experienced. As usual our cabin wasn’t ready so it was off to the restaurant for lunch. Determined to keep the calorie intake low I had a small p’;late of salad, and then had another one. The blue cheese dressing was so good and I am sure must be low calorie?

After lunch we wandered around the decks, took a few photos, then found some seats and waited. Sue read her book and I started this blog.

In the middle of the afternoon we checked to see if our room was empty and it was, so we unpacked, I had a shower and we read the literature in the room while waiting for the statutory
Life-boat drill. Something not to be missed on a Costa ship.

Our muster station is conveniently in the chocolate bar, if we ever do sink I bet Sue gets into the life-boat with her pockets full of choccies. With the ‘Drill’ safely negotiated we returned to the cabin, changed for our evening meal and then went onto deck and watched the ship leave port before trotting along to the restaurant. Disappointingly there appears to be no formal dining arrangements, so it was buffet service again. The food is varied and substantial, but we sat at a table on our own and we prefer to get to know other passengers, and over dinner is the easiest way. However, another disadvantage is that I put the food on the plate and therefore decide on quantity plus there is nothing to stop me going back again. Trousers are already tight and I had to buy a new DJ before the last cruise. Where will it all end? When I can’t see my toes?

We took our seats early for the evening show as we guessed that space may be an issue, we weren’t wrong and managed to grab some in the 2nd row. There was some amusement as a crazy old French woman sat in a seat belonging to the wife of an Englishman. She refused to move despite the husband telling her repeatedly to go away and the staff fetching another seat for her. There was an icy stand off for awhile, but her chair got dragged a metre to the side with her in it and another chair provided for the wife.


The show was excellent, a mixture of dancing, cabaret, singing and magic, of course this being an Italian ship we had some opera. A quick turn around the decks and shops then back to the cabin to test the pillows.

This must be the smallest ship we have been on with only 622 crew, no idea of how many passengers. We were allocated a bog standard inside cabin but we have a premium outside one with a large seaview window and 50 inch TV (not that we will watch either much). Being a small ship, having only just left port we can already feel the swell and I fear for Sue’s constitution. Time will tell.

Good night?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s